Enhancing an automated testing suite
Our biotechnology client was looking to upgrade their flow cytometer desktop app. Used in laboratory analysis, flow cytometry measures the chemical makeup of particles suspended in fluid.
Our client realized their automated tests did not provide an adequate amount of test coverage for the existing features, on top of new features they were going to add. We created a suite of automated system tests that greatly improved speed, maintenance, and future test creation.
What We Did
A biotechnology company needed to enhance the automated testing of their flow cytometer desktop software. They were preparing to add significant functionality to their product, however the existing test suite was outdated and did not gather data fast enough for immediate analysis.
- Client needed a test suite for a new product but wanted to leverage software from an existing test suite
- They wanted to optimize an existing test suite to enable faster developer feedback via real-time test results
- Client wanted to work with a development partner they could learn from through frequent collaboration
SEP worked alongside the client’s development team to update their existing test suite to allow for easier data collection and maintenance. Both teams worked together to ensure that immediate feedback was provided and the project remained on-time and on-budget.
- SEP integrated with client’s staff to provide quick feedback to the development team in order to bring issues to light quickly, while they were smaller in size and easier to fix
- Automated a portion of the existing manual tests
- Optimized the existing automated test suite for near immediate test results
- Test suite architecture was restructured to ease maintenance and creation of system tests
The updated test suite allows our client the ability to gather results for immediate feedback to the developers. The new solution finds bugs quicker, reduces time spent repairing broken tests, and decreases costs of future test executions.
- Improvements to the continuous integration environment reduce testing feedback time. Tests which previously took four hours are now complete in 45 minutes
- Resulting test suite has improved interface, reliability, and maintainability
- Increased automation will save time and money in future formal runs of the test suite
- Automation will also ensure the tests are run more frequently during development
Recent Case Studies
Supporting Ag Dealers in Customer Service
Scaling Woven’s hiring assessments with AI
Let’s develop something special.
Reach out today to talk about how we can work together to shake up your industry.