Managing and Monitoring Heavy Machinery
Our heavy machinery manufacturer client needed to help 150,000+ construction equipment dealers manage their fleets of vehicles.
Sharing our agile and product delivery chops, we worked together to update and improve their web app. In one area, our software provides a 10x speed increase over the old tool.
What We Did
A Fortune 500 agricultural and construction machinery company was looking to extend their capabilities by bringing in an external team familiar with Agile practices and focused on product delivery.
The first product they were looking to reimagine was a global enterprise telematics application. It needed to migrate to support current browser standards and mobile devices. Additionally, the hosting constraints of the application were becoming a burden, so moving to a cloud-based hosting solution was high on the list of needs.
The app, used by more than 150,000 construction dealers and users to monitor their equipment, was more than 5 years old and built on outdated technology. Internally, the company didn’t have staff with the technology skills to maintain the app, but it wanted to find ways to extend the life of the solution. Users were asking for customized updates to the technology that provided deeper insight into their unique data. The app’s original one-size-fits-all model had become obsolete.
The company approached SEP with the scope of their business problem. SEP conducted a number of question and answer sessions, which included reaching out to customer experts for input on their greatest challenges. After identifying the core concerns, the SEP team integrated with the company’s team to begin building the updated cloud application. SEP’s team of experts established itself as a self-organizing entity capable of delivering customer-focused product features of high quality and working within the existing client ecosystem.
- Equipment Management Functions – we created a new, fully functioning website that allows fleet managers to generate reports, conduct equipment mapping, and run exception handling. The basic feature set was also enabled for four different languages.
- Comprehensive Dashboard Capability – Users can log in to the application and see a wealth of data, including lists of vehicles and equipment location. Fleet managers can run reports on equipment usage, fuel burn, idling time, and more to gain targeted insights.
Throughout the duration of our engagement, we also worked on several other related products for our client. They included:
- A machine data API built to ISO specifications that enables access to the same data as the dashboard
- A hub that allows users to manage, sort, and filter their incoming notifications
- A tool that allows users to manage their terminal devices
The project is currently ongoing, but initial feedback has been positive from application users. Prior to SEP working on the project, the software was calculating distance inefficiently. SEP was able to identify the inefficient algorithm used and replaced it with a more efficient version which resulted in a 10x speed increase.
Throughout the project, SEP has consistently delivered innovative ideas to make our client’s ecosystem of software products better. The partnership built in such a short time, has enabled the team to understand the users’ needs and focus on future enhancements to make it even more competitive in the construction market.
Recent Case Studies
Implementing Enterprise DevOps Solutions
Driving Successful Project Outcomes with Dual-Track Agile
Let’s develop something special.
Reach out today to talk about how we can work together to shake up your industry.