Lessons From 2nd Grade Math Homework
Second graders are awesome (as is proven by this picture). It was truly an odd moment of inspiration when I saw his homework. Instead of my usual no-nonsense approach to homework (and too often life), I took a moment to appreciate that my youngest son had turned the mundane into something cool looking. Double bonus is that he got the answer right! 🙂
I had one of those ‘ah-ha’ moments. He’s doing a better job of living life to the fullest than I am! I’m not necessarily smarter than a 2nd grader after all. Here’s what I learned from him:
- Even the most mundane can use a little pizazz. A little flair never hurt anyone.
- Sometimes the end goal isn’t the most important…maybe it’s having a little fun along the way. Don’t forget to enjoy the journey!
- Spend a little time together before you go your separate ways. The 1 and 1 could have just parted, but they hung out together as an 11 first.
- It’s alright to take the long route sometimes. You’ll still get there.
- Do it with gusto. The tens digit had a little extra oomph before he landed. Why not dance a little before you settle in?
You can still get the job done, but don’t forget to have a little (actually a lot!) of fun along the way. That, in my mind, is the way to measure success.
Adding: Since then I’ve learned one more very important lesson from him. If you’re going to sit down and read, it is absolutely better if you construct a pretend teepee to do it in. Atmosphere is everything! ~ Make your workspace awesome!